'81 Kramer Duke Bass

'81 Kramer Duke Bass
Funk Bass Practice Rig

Friday, May 24, 2013

Updates available...Install updates...How do you update yourself?

Install updates…don’t you wish it was that easy to update yourself?  You'd choose the available updates  then you’d just reboot.  Can this work for you? It works for me, but I have to work it!

I want to push this metaphor...install updates

What – updates get created:  someone constantly watches the interaction of users and the program or application; they receive reports and feedback and decide to respond. They create an update.

So what? - What difference does the update make? The update fixes bugs; adds features; refines underlying programming; overhauls graphics; what else? Complete overhaul? Add your own..."So What's"

Now what - Fix bugs...let this be a living parable. I think of a parable as an open story, every metaphor ready to dip me into a stream of running meaning. Install updates...list the bugs you need to work on; list the features you want to add to your life. I want to add a deeper sense of my own emotional life. To do this I've decided to simplify my life by becoming aware of my tendency to "stay busy" in order to avoid contact with my own emotional experiences.

 Refine the underlying program...here's a tough one. Try this: reframing. I had an awful exit experience from a 35 year career. I finally found peace when I saw my experience closely matched one of Jesus of Nazareth when he was kicked out of his home town synagogue for preaching (the truth!). The congregation not only kicked him out, they tried to kill him. What did he do? He walked through the crowd, never looked back and went on with his life. When I reframed my experience as one not unlike his, I began to see some benefits. When I reframe, I am refining the underlying program (my life story and my interpretation of it as beneficial to me) and I am installing updates!

 Overhaul graphics....Let the metaphor be a symbol. Paul Tillich says a symbol pointing beyond itself;  Install the update...what image of yourself do you want to add or revise that points beyond itself to the person you hope to be? I want to be a successful musician. So I have this little cartoon character I've developed: "Preacher Mullet and the Skulls". I imagine myself playing as Preacher Mullet and the Skulls and we're a big hit. I ask myself, "What are the top 5 things I have to do to make my dream come true?" The answer I dislike the most is "practice the key of E"!  Now I'm updating my graphics by using  a metaphor that pushes me to see myself differently and most important - act accordingly.


Install updates....a metaphor I came across and how I'm using it to see myself differently. Go for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment