'81 Kramer Duke Bass

'81 Kramer Duke Bass
Funk Bass Practice Rig

Monday, May 13, 2013

Traveler will Travel....7 days of Hobo Sailing

Make a list. Review the list. Pack as light as possible. Organize the stuff you pack.

That's the plan I follow when I get ready to get ready to either go camping or spend a few nights on our Catalina 22 Sailboat, which is camping.

Many years ago when we camped with our children and with other campers with children, I got to the end of a day, washed the last dish and pan and said, "Camping is cooking, eating and getting ready to cook again." I still hold this as the true definition of camping. Same goes for camping on the sailboat. I minimize the cooking by eating lots of sardines, tuna and peanut butter. I have to have my coffee and oatmeal in the morning. Boil water, use a coffee press and you don't have much to clean.

We're heading East out of Soldier Creek, AL. On Google Maps find Lillian, AL. Its on Perdido Bay. Find the bridge to Florida. Now go south along the west bank of Perdido Bay (The Alabama Side). You'll come to Soldier Creek. We'll cross Perdido Bay going toward Innerarity Point. Around Innerarity Point we'll turn east and sail towards Pensacola, sailing down the Intracoastal Waterway, dodge a few barges, and sail across Big Lagoon to the East end and camp in that cove between the sand Island and Ft. McCrea, which guards the west side of the Caucus Channel.

Day 2 we sail further East stopping at Pensacola Beach. We may get as far as Navarre, FL, then come back to Big Sabine. This will give us about 7 hours of sailing. That's enough!

Day 3 will be 8-9 hours back to Soldier Creek. I'll drop my passenger, spend a night at home then head back out for another three or four days by myself. I'll chase the wind and see where it takes me.

Until next Tuesday....Travel (and play in the Key of E!)

I'll be sailing the Catalina 22 on the left. It was built in 1984.

No comments:

Post a Comment