'81 Kramer Duke Bass

'81 Kramer Duke Bass
Funk Bass Practice Rig

Monday, May 6, 2013

Play for an hour in the key of E...and do it until you know it, the key of E

Played a jam not long ago. I was out of my league, way out of it. I was playing someone else's guitar, a Fender Strat, which my friend says is the hardest guitar to play because you have to pick it in the right place to get a fat tone. That was the least of my worries. I didn't know any of the 3 songs I was in on. At one point the lead guitarist just looked at me as shouted, "play", when it was my ride.

I played. I wasn't really playing anything, not improvising, just moving my fingers as fast as I could more out of fear than faith...I wasn't musical, wasn't listening, wasn't having fun.

I asked the lead player afterwards what I needed to do. He asked me, "do you play your guitar every day?"
I said, "Yes." Truth too. Then he asked me, "Do you practice an hour or more every day?" I said, "No".

Next day I played for an hour only in the key of E. My left arm went numb. I got worried. Backed off to 30 minutes the next day, still in the key of E. I'm still working 20-40 minutes a day, usually in two sessions (or else my left arm goes numb) and I'm still playing in the key of E.

Join me in the key of E. Practice, Practice, Practice. I want to be able to say something on the guitar that springs from my heart of hearts.


No comments:

Post a Comment