'81 Kramer Duke Bass

'81 Kramer Duke Bass
Funk Bass Practice Rig

Thursday, April 1, 2010

If its fixed, don't break it.

I bought an old Peavey 2x12 ported bass cabinet loaded with scorpion speakers. It came from the factory 4 ohm. I used it several times as part of my bass rig. I use a Peavey 2600 stereo power amp and a Peavey Bass Max preamp. Great sound till I decided I'd change it to an 8ohm cabinet. If its fixed, don't break it. I didn't really know what I'd done to it. But I eventually sold it and eventually bought it back. The guy I sold it to couldn't use it. He said it sounded real flat, no resonance, etc. I called a buddy of mine and asked him if he could return it to 4 ohm status. He said, "that's easy and I'll check the polarity. You have to make sure you have your polarity correct. If you don't, the speakers more or less cancel each other out, sound flat, no resonance." Hum. I guess I screwed up the polarity. Is this a parable? Kinda! Here's a quote from Walter Wink, a guy who studies parables:

"Parables are tiny lumps of coal squeezed into diamonds, condensed metaphors that catch the rays of something ultimate and glint it at our lives. Parables are not illustrations; they do not support, elaborate or simplify a more basic idea. They are not ideas at all, nor can they ever be reduced to theological statements. They are the jeweled portals of another world; we cannot see through them like windows, but through their surfaces are refracted lights that would otherwise blind us -- or pass unseen... Nor can parables ever be exhausted; they always contain more than we can tell. They are the precipitate of something ineffable; they percolate up from depths wherein the Kingdom itself is working its ineluctable work. They come from the same energizing reality that causes the seeds to germinate and the leaven to rise. They rise with the leaven. "

Maybe you'll discover a parable among your old guitars and stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment