'81 Kramer Duke Bass

'81 Kramer Duke Bass
Funk Bass Practice Rig

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Gettin' ready to smile for a couple of weeks

My wife says I smile for at least 2 weeks after a gig. I'll be subbing on bass for the guy who usually plays for Danny Duristanti. Danny and I met purely by chance. I stopped at Picker's Paradise Music Store in Stapleton, Alabama, just north of Foley on Highway 59. Its famous for being next door to Jody Payne's house. Jody's the guitar player for Willie Nelson since 1973. Last time I was in the store, Jody was there talking to the owner about how to get some kind of better sound out of something. I just listened. Five years ago I stopped and Danny was there with his old Guild acoustic. I'll strike up a conversation with anyone and did with Danny. He's quiet and thoughtful and he gave his phone number and said I could call him about playing rhythm guitar for his duo. I did and ended up, without ever practicing with them, doing a New Year's Eve gig at the now defunct "Three Spirit's Sports Bar". He invited me back, this time to practice! I met Joel, the guy who eventually built me a boat. Joel played bass. This Friday and Saturday Danny and I will be at Live Bait at the Wharf at Orange Beach, AL. You can Google it. Danny hails from Cleveland, Mississippi and is very proud of his Delta Blues upbringing. We'll do a lot of old time delta blues, some country, some Tom Petty, and if we need to, take a break. We like to just play. There's so little time to just play. Danny's good, real good! Our music makes me smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment