'81 Kramer Duke Bass

'81 Kramer Duke Bass
Funk Bass Practice Rig

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Making Harmony

Someone installed a new bridge on the Harmony Meteor. I discovered last night that it must be in exactly the right place to make for correct intonation. I loosened the strings and moved its little plastic feet into the spots they have tattooed into the old finish. When I did, intonation was perfect up and down the fret. Do you suppose we have a bridge that some force can move just enough to throw our intonation off? I tuned the strings with an analog tuner. The tuner said "perfect". Then I played a chord: way off. And the more I moved around the neck, the worse the intonation problem. Hum. I told someone today that other people's problems often become my problems. I also said, "When I head in this direction, I need to get back to working the steps." The 12 steps of AA work for me when I work them. Its like carefully repositioning the bridge so every fret makes Harmony with every other fret.

No comments:

Post a Comment