'81 Kramer Duke Bass

'81 Kramer Duke Bass
Funk Bass Practice Rig

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Harmony meaning and the question "What is life for?"

What is life for? I believe Wendell Berry poses that question in a poem. I found the question embedded in a discussion of theology, specifically the theology of the cross, and within that, a discussion of Jesus' work and our human predicament of trying to work out the meaning of our lives. I believe there is no one to answer the question, "what is life for?" There is no expert to tell me or you the answer to this question. There are small groups of us working on it. The question poses an "adaptive challenge" (Google Ron Heifetz). "What is life for?" You can rule out nothing. You can rule in anything that doesn't lead to cruelty or result in cruelty to any part of creation. (I'm borrowing this idea from Reynolds Price.) My Harmony Meteor and I and my jam band will enjoin this question tomorrow night. The experience will be episodic and yet, not without continuity to both past and future. I will come away from our jam with immeasurable satisfaction, because I took part and the meaning will be made with the Harmony Meteor and the other old guys and our memories which is what life is for, the making of memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment